The East & West Junction railway (E&W) proposed a new
line from a junction with the Northampton & Banbury
Railway at Greens Norton to Stratford Upon Avon.
In 1864 Lady Palmerson came and cut the first sod. The E&W became a part of the SMJ in January 1st, 1909.
Byfield was the SMJ's connection station with Great Central
Railway. It also served the Ironstone quarries nearby. For more
about the Byfiled Ironstone Quarries, Click here.
Today the station and goods sidings area has been largely filled
in and the eastern end of the site is now a cemetary. The SMJ
bridge has been replaced by a banking. A 'pocket park' leads to the
Byfield Playing Field where an interpretive noticeboard explains
that the pocket park was once the SMJR route. The western extreme
end of the down platform is still visible as is the ruined base of
the water tower that stood there. Nearer to the cemetery is what is
probably the remins of the cattle pens.
Add a Comment