‘The Stratford Upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway’ (or S.M.J.) was a small independent railway company which ran a line across the empty, untouched centre of England. It visited the counties of Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire and a little of Buckinghamshire, only existing as the SMJ from 1909 to 1923. In 1923 the S.M.J.became a minor arm of the London Midland and Scottish (L.M.S.), then in 1948 'British Railways' 

Gone but not forgotten: "the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth"

SMJ Forum

Evesham Redditch & Stratford-upon-Avon Junction Railway 8 Replies

Did this railway (as opposed to the East & West Junction Railway) go into receivership - if so, when. And when did it come out of receivership?Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 11.

Bidford-on-Avon 5 Replies

Shall we bring this discussion under the proper heading!So far as the OS plan surveyed 1885, published 1886, is concerned: the OS liked - wherever they could  - to have text running parallel to the top and bottom borders. When they came to add the…Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 10.

North End and Warwick Road stations? 57 Replies

Some time ago we ahd an interesting and lively discussion on the mystery station at Tiffield, which added quite a lot to our collective knowledge.I've recently been looking closely at two of the other mystery stations- at North End (sometimes…Continue

Started by Barry Taylor. Last reply by Richard Maund Jan 27.

1873 timetable 4 Replies

Page 12 of Arthur Jordan's book features a full page reproduction of the E&WJ public timetable handbill for August 1873. Does anyone know where the original of that handbill is preserved?Incidentally, the timetable itself formed the basis of…Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Barry Taylor Jan 25.

SMJ photos

• Add Photos
I am trying to put together a list of all the locomotive types that have ever been recorded on the SMJR routes. (ie. Cockley Brake Junction - Blisworth SMJR, Towcester - Broom Junction, Towcester - Ravenstone Junction). I've used this website, all the standard reference books, plus 'Last Years of the GCR Main line' and my own observations. So far I've got a list of 70!

I need help with the following:-
. diesel classes used on trains to Kineton depot since closure of the SMJR
. can anyone identify what class ex- LYR No 12103 was? because it worked the SMJ!
. can anyone confirm the following classes on the SMJ: Modified Hall, Jinty, Sulzer Type 2 diesel?
. ANYTHING YOU THINK MIGHT NOT BE ON MY LIST!

Among exotics on the list so far are 'Jumbo' 2-4-0s, SR U Mogul, Robinson O4 2-8-0, K3 2-6-0 and Patriot!

Looking forward to hearing from you

Dick

Views: 256

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Don't forget that the Pannier 6435 still exists...
I think its perhaps time to start a new discussion ' Preserved engines that ran over SMJR metals' Thanks for all the new info everyone. Does anyone (John?) know for certain if a County or a Manor ever used the triangle?

Dick
Done....
sorry for the tread slippage Dick...

Dick said:
I think its perhaps time to start a new discussion ' Preserved engines that ran over SMJR metals' Thanks for all the new info everyone. Does anyone (John?) know for certain if a County or a Manor ever used the triangle?

Dick
I can confirm 92212 on at least three occasions on mineral trains or empties. Only Hawkesworth County that I know ever used the triangle was 1012 on 9.6.62. Manor 7808 I have recorded at Old Town on 10.8.63 but regret that the note does not confirm whether it was just turning or on a train. I believe that 7808 is preserved. I am sure that there will be other Manors it is just finding the time to get through the records. There were a few of them around the West Midlands in 1962-5 nominally allocated to 85A but they seemed to shuffle around our patch a lot. I think Banbury had one or two for a time as well. It looks like the only GW named class not to appear was King and they were of course barred from the North Warwicks line although one of the preserved ones has got to Stratford in more recent times. Now how about this for consideration...There were a couple of GW 14xx class 0-4-2T at Banbury for use on the Biscester shuttles when that service either ceased or went to DMU the 14xx were withdrawn and towed away dead for scrap. I was told by one of the Kineton signalmen many months after the event that one of the 14xx was included (dead) in a freight heading for South Wales overnight sometime in late 1962. I have never been able to confirm this sole account although it is entirely feasable as many 14xx class locos were cut up in Sharpness or South Wales. Can anyone add to this?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Andy Thompson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service