‘The Stratford Upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway’ (or S.M.J.) was a small independent railway company which ran a line across the empty, untouched centre of England. It visited the counties of Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire and a little of Buckinghamshire, only existing as the SMJ from 1909 to 1923. In 1923 the S.M.J.became a minor arm of the London Midland and Scottish (L.M.S.), then in 1948 'British Railways' 

Gone but not forgotten: "the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth"

SMJ Forum

NEW BOOK ON THE SMJ - AVAILABLE SHORTLY 24 Replies

Hi allI'm pleased to announce that the first volume of my history of…Continue

Started by Barry Taylor. Last reply by John Evans Dec 1.

John Jennings

Following the sad loss of John Jennings, a stalwart of the SMJ and our society, Mike Musson set up a page on his site. The whole sit is well worth a visit as it overlaps with us here at the SMJ society     Go take a look…Continue

Started by Andy Thompson Nov 28.

The SMJR Great War Roll of Honour 12 Replies

Many of you will be aware that in common with all other railway companies the SMJR lost many of its employees for all or part of the Great War as the patriotic duty to volunteer was overwhelming.  Railwaymen were technically exempt but many chose to…Continue

Tags: of, Honour, Roll, War, SMJR

Started by John Jennings. Last reply by Jim Brown Nov 23.

Warley Poster

Interesting to see Broom Junction layout photo on posters and adverts for the Warley Model Railway Show this weekend.Continue

Started by Dick Bodily Nov 21.

SMJ photos

• Add Photos

Gary's Discussions (134)

Discussions Replied To (102) Replies Latest Activity

"On a group on Facebook regarding the GCR and the remains, the fact that the platform…"

Gary replied Jan 10, 2017 to Would the GCR have gone via Towcester?

10 Jan 14, 2017
Reply by NIGEL

"It would appear indeed that they had a potential vested interest Dick. A quick look…"

Gary replied Jan 1, 2017 to Would the GCR have gone via Towcester?

10 Jan 14, 2017
Reply by NIGEL

"I initially thought that too Jim but the difference in elevation between the two sta…"

Gary replied Dec 21, 2016 to Would the GCR have gone via Towcester?

10 Jan 14, 2017
Reply by NIGEL

"Cheers Nigel. You know I have looked at that view many times, even photographed it m…"

Gary replied Dec 20, 2016 to Would the GCR have gone via Towcester?

10 Jan 14, 2017
Reply by NIGEL

"Finally managed to get to see the exhibition last weekend.It is a brilliant piece of…"

Gary replied Dec 16, 2016 to Towcester Museum -n SMJR exhibition

12 Dec 16, 2016
Reply by NIGEL

"I hope the exhibition is on for a while as I will be "working" Abingdon airshow that…"

Gary replied Feb 18, 2016 to Your museum needs you!

6 May 25, 2016
Reply by Dick Bodily

"There was a hut for a similar trolley at the Woodford Junction too. It is visible in…"

Gary replied Jan 21, 2016 to Motor Trolley Workings

5 Mar 7, 2016
Reply by Nick Meredith

"The station is Byfield isn't it?Great bit of history. "

Gary replied Jan 16, 2016 to Article in the Meccano Magazine (Aug 1956) describing the SMJR Railtour

5 Jan 16, 2016
Reply by Robin Cullup

"Which road was it?Your description leads me to suspect it maybe one of the Great Cen…"

Gary replied Jan 16, 2016 to Bridge near weedon lois

5 Jan 19, 2016
Reply by Dick Bodily

"Sorry I can't help you Steven but sounds an interesting DVD Jim... If possible any c…"

Gary replied Jun 18, 2014 to Greetings from Bidford & a question re. Arrow river bridge at Broom

5 Jun 18, 2014
Reply by Gary

RSS

© 2018   Created by Andy Thompson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service