‘The Stratford Upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway’ (or S.M.J.) was a small independent railway company which ran a line across the empty, untouched centre of England. It visited the counties of Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire and a little of Buckinghamshire, only existing as the SMJ from 1909 to 1923. In 1923 the S.M.J.became a minor arm of the London Midland and Scottish (L.M.S.), then in 1948 'British Railways' 

Gone but not forgotten: "the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth"

SMJ Forum

NEW BOOK ON THE SMJ - AVAILABLE SHORTLY 13 Replies

Hi allI'm pleased to announce that the first volume of my history of…Continue

Started by Barry Taylor. Last reply by Barry Taylor on Saturday.

standard station design? 1 Reply

I have just noticed that Byfield and Blakesly station buildings look identical and also Morton Pinkney looks similar. Was it a standard design? Also can any one tell me where i might be able to find a photo of the non platform side i.e. entrance.…Continue

Started by Clive. Last reply by Simon Dunkley Sep 20.

Fenny Compton

HiI’ve just purchased the book « Track layout diagrams of the Great Western Railway and B.R. (W.R.) section 29” by R.A.Cooke and notice that on page 29/9 concerning Fenny Compton, he mentions a goods shed at the end of the exchange sidings as…Continue

Started by Jack Freuville Sep 6.

Planning Application for Binton Station Site 7 Replies

I've just been told by friends from Welford that there's a planning application to redevelop the Binton Station site:Binton Station Planning…Continue

Started by Simon Stevens. Last reply by John Douglas Aug 25.

Train Simulator SMJ 7 Replies

For those interested in the Train Simulator 2014 side of life... I've begun modelling the SMJ railway in the route creator/editor, using terrain from imported Google Earth and imagery of the line from the SMJ days. As you'd expect, the route is…Continue

Started by Richard Woods. Last reply by Bob hawes Aug 8.

Barry's SMJ book 4 Replies

I see an advert for Volume 1 of Barry Taylor's SMJ history in RM. Apparently it will cover the E&WJR and N&BJR period pre SMJ and is being published by Black Dwarf mid-August, cost &25 plus p.p.Continue

Started by Dick Bodily. Last reply by Dick Bodily Aug 4.

Need Site Help?

Simon Stevens's Discussions (11)

Discussions Replied To (8) Replies Latest Activity

"Details now available here: Binton station site advert POA unfortunately. Anybody i…"

Simon Stevens replied Jun 2 to Planning Application for Binton Station Site

7 Aug 25
Reply by John Douglas

"The Binton station site is now for sale through Peter Clarke estate agents in Stratf…"

Simon Stevens replied May 24 to Planning Application for Binton Station Site

7 Aug 25
Reply by John Douglas

"I took a walk to Binton today and was reminded to check up on the status of this app…"

Simon Stevens replied May 31, 2016 to Planning Application for Binton Station Site

7 Aug 25
Reply by John Douglas

"We ate at the recently reopened Three Horseshoes in Wixford yesterday, their decor h…"

Simon Stevens replied Apr 9, 2016 to Station Totems / running in boards

9 Nov 4, 2016
Reply by Rob Davidson

"I think you can see the start of the deviation in the distance in Nigel's photo here…"

Simon Stevens replied Mar 19, 2015 to M40 motorway

16 Apr 7, 2015
Reply by Barry Taylor

"My M40 reminiscence might help with the construction date - I moved to Rowington in…"

Simon Stevens replied Mar 17, 2015 to M40 motorway

16 Apr 7, 2015
Reply by Barry Taylor

"The 1:25000 OS map shows a kink to the new alignment over the M40 bridge, under the…"

Simon Stevens replied Mar 14, 2015 to M40 motorway

16 Apr 7, 2015
Reply by Barry Taylor

"Hi John, Many thanks for your replies and for taking the trouble to search for photo…"

Simon Stevens replied May 28, 2014 to Greetings from Bidford & a question re. Arrow river bridge at Broom

5 Jun 18, 2014
Reply by Gary

RSS

© 2017   Created by Andy Thompson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service