‘The Stratford Upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway’ (or S.M.J.) was a small independent railway company which ran a line across the empty, untouched centre of England. It visited the counties of Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire and a little of Buckinghamshire, only existing as the SMJ from 1909 to 1923. In 1923 the S.M.J.became a minor arm of the London Midland and Scottish (L.M.S.), then in 1948 'British Railways' 

Gone but not forgotten: "the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth"

SMJ Forum

Funny Story about Kineton Military Railway 1 Reply

An improbable, funny, but absolutely true story relating to the Kineton military railway.Long after my Army days I still retained an affection and passing interest in Kineton ammunition depot where I served during the 1960s. Coupled to a 'love' of…Continue

Started by Dave Hayward. Last reply by Dave Hayward on Sunday.

Blisworth - Towcester ETS working

Electric train staff equipment had been brought into use between Blisworth and Towcester by 9 August 1910 (date of SMJR minute 451 (TNA file RAIL 674/3)) and presumably the new signal box at Blisworth appeared at the same time. In that this was so…Continue

Started by Richard Maund Apr 20.

Blisworth 1920

SMJ board minute 1474 of 13 April 1921 (TNA file RAIL 674/4) approved that “the following expenditure be charged to Capital” for year 1920: “Blisworth: Signalling and alterations to Permanent Way, Improvements and additional signalling: £800”. In…Continue

Started by Richard Maund Apr 20.

Evesham Redditch & Stratford-upon-Avon Junction Railway 8 Replies

Did this railway (as opposed to the East & West Junction Railway) go into receivership - if so, when. And when did it come out of receivership?Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 11.

SMJ photos

• Add Photos

Barry Taylor's Discussions (138)

Discussions Replied To (121) Replies Latest Activity

"Hi all This area is a bit complicated, and I'm not sure that I have got to the botto…"

Barry Taylor replied Feb 21, 2013 to TRACK DOUBLING UNDER BRIDGES 2 & 3 AT GAYTON

14 Mar 27, 2013
Reply by NIGEL

"Dick I haven't seen the article in Feb Steam World yet, but I do know a bit about th…"

Barry Taylor replied Feb 11, 2013 to Cardington - Bridgnorth RAF Specials

2 Feb 11, 2013
Reply by Dick Bodily

"Dick Unfortunately I didn't record the number of the 8F - I remember it caught me by…"

Barry Taylor replied Dec 26, 2012 to Towcester Train Register Book

5 Dec 26, 2012
Reply by Barry Taylor

"Thanks for this Richard - it's particularly fascinating for me as on 21st July that…"

Barry Taylor replied Dec 23, 2012 to Towcester Train Register Book

5 Dec 26, 2012
Reply by Barry Taylor

"Bob You might like to try the Public Record Office at Kew where there is a file ref:…"

Barry Taylor replied Oct 30, 2012 to employment records

1 Oct 30, 2012
Reply by Barry Taylor

"Thanks Jim / John / Dick for your responses - Robin and I came up with much the same…"

Barry Taylor replied Aug 22, 2012 to Photo of 44186 at Fenny Compton (see photo section)

4 Aug 22, 2012
Reply by Barry Taylor

"David W might be interested to know that there is a file at the Public Record Office…"

Barry Taylor replied Aug 12, 2012 to The SMJR Great War Roll of Honour

14 Dec 21, 2018
Reply by Barry Taylor

"Excellent article by Rex with lots of very interesting detail and anecdotes. However…"

Barry Taylor replied Jun 8, 2012 to Two new SMJ related Articles

1 Jun 8, 2012
Reply by Barry Taylor

"Hi Richard Just to add to Si's recent reply, there was in fact a connection into the…"

Barry Taylor replied Mar 16, 2012 to Ravenstone Wood Junction.

4 Mar 16, 2012
Reply by Richard Pike

"Thanks for the commercial Dick ! The next part will be on the old N&BJR lines fr…"

Barry Taylor replied Mar 16, 2012 to RAILWAY BYLINES MAGAZINE

3 Mar 16, 2012
Reply by Barry Taylor

RSS

© 2024   Created by Andy Thompson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service