‘The Stratford Upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway’ (or S.M.J.) was a small independent railway company which ran a line across the empty, untouched centre of England. It visited the counties of Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire and a little of Buckinghamshire, only existing as the SMJ from 1909 to 1923. In 1923 the S.M.J.became a minor arm of the London Midland and Scottish (L.M.S.), then in 1948 'British Railways' 

Gone but not forgotten: "the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth"

SMJ Forum

Evesham Redditch & Stratford-upon-Avon Junction Railway 8 Replies

Did this railway (as opposed to the East & West Junction Railway) go into receivership - if so, when. And when did it come out of receivership?Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 11.

Bidford-on-Avon 5 Replies

Shall we bring this discussion under the proper heading!So far as the OS plan surveyed 1885, published 1886, is concerned: the OS liked - wherever they could  - to have text running parallel to the top and bottom borders. When they came to add the…Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 10.

North End and Warwick Road stations? 57 Replies

Some time ago we ahd an interesting and lively discussion on the mystery station at Tiffield, which added quite a lot to our collective knowledge.I've recently been looking closely at two of the other mystery stations- at North End (sometimes…Continue

Started by Barry Taylor. Last reply by Richard Maund Jan 27.

1873 timetable 4 Replies

Page 12 of Arthur Jordan's book features a full page reproduction of the E&WJ public timetable handbill for August 1873. Does anyone know where the original of that handbill is preserved?Incidentally, the timetable itself formed the basis of…Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Barry Taylor Jan 25.

SMJ photos

• Add Photos

Welcome to the SMJ forum. Please feel free to start a discussion! (360)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Materials getting lost

I have read recently heard the (valid) point that things are getting lost, fragmented on the website. I would love some feed-back from you…

Started by Andy Thompson

14 Oct 7, 2009
Reply by Gary

nicknames

Wel - Hello David. It has been a VERY long time since I had the chance to read something yu write. What a great surprise - but then I reca…

Started by adrian vaughan

0 Sep 21, 2009

Potential rolling stock survivor?

Once again folks I was having a trawl around the web & found this listing: http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?

Started by Gary

2 Sep 3, 2009
Reply by Gary

Slow Miserable and Jolty

In former times just about everything and everybody had a nickname, a trend that seems to be becoming unfashionable or not PC. The Stratfor…

Started by Dick Bodily

8 Sep 1, 2009
Reply by Dick Bodily

Slow Miserable and Jolty

Can I please correct the title someone used on the SMJ site and I reproduce abpve. The correct 'joky' title - and one with proper aliterat…

Started by adrian vaughan

2 Sep 1, 2009
Reply by Dick Bodily

MORETON PINKNEY SMJ

I moved to Moreton Pinkney in 1986. My parents house was on the Canons Ashby Road at the bottom of which was the old bridge that crossed th…

Started by Si Donal

10 Aug 29, 2009
Reply by Si Donal

Bridge 149

I was interested to be reminded of Bridge 149 at Towcester. One of the features of the SMJ was the big cast iron diamond shaped warning si…

Started by Peter Fleming

4 Aug 13, 2009
Reply by Peter Fleming

Tale from the old line...

Whilst on a current SMJR interest spleurge I have found the following in one of my books. I am not sure how true it is due to the slight co…

Started by Gary

1 Aug 9, 2009
Reply by Dick Bodily

Towcester Race Specials

I know that the LMS used to run special trains to Towcester ( and also to Warwick) Races from Northampton. The usual formation was a Webb 2…

Started by Dick Bodily

1 Aug 3, 2009
Reply by Barry Taylor

The Triangular Junction at Stratford post 1960

As there have been a number of references to this location I have placed a file on my blog regarding the signaling in the Stratford area be…

Started by John Jennings

1 Aug 1, 2009
Reply by Andy Thompson

RSS

© 2024   Created by Andy Thompson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service