‘The Stratford Upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway’ (or S.M.J.) was a small independent railway company which ran a line across the empty, untouched centre of England. It visited the counties of Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire and a little of Buckinghamshire, only existing as the SMJ from 1909 to 1923. In 1923 the S.M.J.became a minor arm of the London Midland and Scottish (L.M.S.), then in 1948 'British Railways' 

Gone but not forgotten: "the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth"

SMJ Forum

Blisworth - Towcester ETS working

Electric train staff equipment had been brought into use between Blisworth and Towcester by 9 August 1910 (date of SMJR minute 451 (TNA file RAIL 674/3)) and presumably the new signal box at Blisworth appeared at the same time. In that this was so…Continue

Started by Richard Maund on Saturday.

Blisworth 1920

SMJ board minute 1474 of 13 April 1921 (TNA file RAIL 674/4) approved that “the following expenditure be charged to Capital” for year 1920: “Blisworth: Signalling and alterations to Permanent Way, Improvements and additional signalling: £800”. In…Continue

Started by Richard Maund on Saturday.

Evesham Redditch & Stratford-upon-Avon Junction Railway 8 Replies

Did this railway (as opposed to the East & West Junction Railway) go into receivership - if so, when. And when did it come out of receivership?Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 11.

Bidford-on-Avon 5 Replies

Shall we bring this discussion under the proper heading!So far as the OS plan surveyed 1885, published 1886, is concerned: the OS liked - wherever they could  - to have text running parallel to the top and bottom borders. When they came to add the…Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 10.

SMJ photos

• Add Photos
The photograph of "4F" 44030, supposedly at Towcester in 1905 raises a few questions. First of all the first "4F" was not built by the Midland Railway until 1911, and 44030 was built (as LMS 4030) in December 1924. It acquired the 44030 number in November 1948, so this photograph is dated on or after this date. At this time the locomotive was allocated to Nottingham (16A), and as such would be an unlikely - but not impossible - traveller along the SMJ.
Further comments would oblige.
Robin

Views: 55

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with Robin about date of photo also the loco carries a British Railways Lion over the wheel crest on tender which also dates picture. However the gate in foreground of both pictures looks identical it's quite distinctive which points towards the location being the same.
Alwyn.
At first glance I agree with all that has been said so far about the date / loco / allocation etc - but something strikes me as 'not quite right ' about the photo. Compare the gate and the foliage in the b& w photo with the same in the colour photo ....................all too much the same, down to individual leaves and branches, and even the bit of string (?) attached to the left end of the gate........ is somebody out there playing around with photoshop ?!!!
Looking closer I think that we may have a kit built 4F model overlaid with a b&w version of the colour pic of the gateway - come on Andy - hands up !
Barry T
Andy

' Hold yer hand out, you naughty boy! '

(extract from a Music Hall song popular in 1905)

Dick

PS You MUST put this picture on Steam Tube to accompany the Photoshop debate.
Dam! You've rumbled me!! Andy

Dick said:
Andy

' Hold yer hand out, you naughty boy! '

(extract from a Music Hall song popular in 1905)

Dick

PS You MUST put this picture on Steam Tube to accompany the Photoshop debate.
OK, OK! I am guilty! I photoshopped it! Not bad I thought!!

Andy

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Andy Thompson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service