‘The Stratford Upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway’ (or S.M.J.) was a small independent railway company which ran a line across the empty, untouched centre of England. It visited the counties of Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire and a little of Buckinghamshire, only existing as the SMJ from 1909 to 1923. In 1923 the S.M.J.became a minor arm of the London Midland and Scottish (L.M.S.), then in 1948 'British Railways' 

Gone but not forgotten: "the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth"

SMJ Forum

Evesham Redditch & Stratford-upon-Avon Junction Railway 8 Replies

Did this railway (as opposed to the East & West Junction Railway) go into receivership - if so, when. And when did it come out of receivership?Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 11.

Bidford-on-Avon 5 Replies

Shall we bring this discussion under the proper heading!So far as the OS plan surveyed 1885, published 1886, is concerned: the OS liked - wherever they could  - to have text running parallel to the top and bottom borders. When they came to add the…Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 10.

North End and Warwick Road stations? 57 Replies

Some time ago we ahd an interesting and lively discussion on the mystery station at Tiffield, which added quite a lot to our collective knowledge.I've recently been looking closely at two of the other mystery stations- at North End (sometimes…Continue

Started by Barry Taylor. Last reply by Richard Maund Jan 27.

1873 timetable 4 Replies

Page 12 of Arthur Jordan's book features a full page reproduction of the E&WJ public timetable handbill for August 1873. Does anyone know where the original of that handbill is preserved?Incidentally, the timetable itself formed the basis of…Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Barry Taylor Jan 25.

SMJ photos

• Add Photos

Dear SMJ Society member

Final notice for our 2013 get together in Stratford Upon Avon

This Saturday!!!

http://thenewbullshead.co.uk/contact-us.html

"The West End Public House"
9, Bull Street,
Stratford Upon Avon,
Warks
CV37 6DT

PLEASE NOTE. THE PUB HAS HAD A REFERB AND REBRAND SINCE WE SET THE EVENT UP. THE ADDRESS (9, Bull Street,) IS STILL CORRECT

This Saturday, 11th of May from 10:30/11:00

Alwyn found Rodger Hatch (landlord) very amenable to our suggestion of the society get-together at his pub in May. He's agreed generously to set aside a sizeable corner of his pub for the proceedings. As well as refreshments & alcohol they serve meals. He's kindly offered to give directions for vehicle parking in the vicinity. In my opinion it would be a excellent venue. The phone number if you have any enquiries is 01789 268832.

If you click the above link you will see that the pub is within walking distance of the Old Town Station site and so it is proposed we visit (on foot) the site en-mass. The parking isn’t fab but again,

I think I shall park near the ‘South Curve’ and walk over to the pub as I would like us to pop over to the Old Town Station site for a group visit (to include a group photo or two as well!)

The follow is the proposed schedule of the days events

10:30-11:00  arrival for you to unwrap and display your SMJ memorabilia

11:00 – get together start. It would be nice if those who can make it could stay and we can generally natter and swap stories.

12:30 – lunch/food is available on-site from the bar and it is suggested that those attending stay and buy lunch from Rogers menu

2:00 – Post lunch we can pack up and walk (en-mass) to Old Town Station site for a good look, group photos, discussions etc. If anyone has local press connections, maybe they’d like a story and a few piccys.

Time allowing, it isn’t far to the former Binton; SMJ station site. When I visited in 2010 whilst on a canal boat holiday along the Avon (recommended by the way) and providing it hasn’t all been knocked down and houses build on the site (which happens all to regularly here in Devon)the station site is(was) very much intact. The station building is a little treasure and large strips of former track bed are (were) walkable either side of the station. Finish time is loose, but it would be great just to see you all and chat.

I shall be staying in Towcester and driving over from there on Saturday, first thing. I have spare seats so if I can pick up on the way or meet someone at Towcester, now’s the time to say! My mobile number is 07778 54 27 35 and I will be driving up on Friday

I’d like the day to be a success for us, the society, the Pub and Roger generally so please say you’ll come as I’d love to me those regular’s, but more so, those of you who couldn’t make the two Stoke Bruerne events. Don’t forget your SMJ memorabilia, large or small, we are interested – that’s the purpose of our society.

Thanks

Andy

"The West End Public House"
9, Bull Street,
Stratford Upon Avon,
Warks
CV37 6DT

tions

Views: 73

Reply to This

© 2024   Created by Andy Thompson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service