‘The Stratford Upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway’ (or S.M.J.) was a small independent railway company which ran a line across the empty, untouched centre of England. It visited the counties of Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire and a little of Buckinghamshire, only existing as the SMJ from 1909 to 1923. In 1923 the S.M.J.became a minor arm of the London Midland and Scottish (L.M.S.), then in 1948 'British Railways' 

Gone but not forgotten: "the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth"

SMJ Forum

Blisworth - Towcester ETS working

Electric train staff equipment had been brought into use between Blisworth and Towcester by 9 August 1910 (date of SMJR minute 451 (TNA file RAIL 674/3)) and presumably the new signal box at Blisworth appeared at the same time. In that this was so…Continue

Started by Richard Maund on Saturday.

Blisworth 1920

SMJ board minute 1474 of 13 April 1921 (TNA file RAIL 674/4) approved that “the following expenditure be charged to Capital” for year 1920: “Blisworth: Signalling and alterations to Permanent Way, Improvements and additional signalling: £800”. In…Continue

Started by Richard Maund on Saturday.

Evesham Redditch & Stratford-upon-Avon Junction Railway 8 Replies

Did this railway (as opposed to the East & West Junction Railway) go into receivership - if so, when. And when did it come out of receivership?Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 11.

Bidford-on-Avon 5 Replies

Shall we bring this discussion under the proper heading!So far as the OS plan surveyed 1885, published 1886, is concerned: the OS liked - wherever they could  - to have text running parallel to the top and bottom borders. When they came to add the…Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 10.

SMJ photos

• Add Photos

John Evans's Discussions (16)

Discussions Replied To (11) Replies Latest Activity

"Picture No. 18, Branch Lines Around Towcester, Middleton Press, by Vic Mitchell and…"

John Evans replied Dec 28, 2020 to Banbury Merton Road Shed and Britannia Works Tramway

8 Dec 30, 2020
Reply by Colin Franklin

"I agree with everything that has been said. A wonderful, scholarly yet very readable…"

John Evans replied Dec 1, 2018 to NEW BOOK ON THE SMJ - AVAILABLE SHORTLY

24 Dec 1, 2018
Reply by John Evans

"This is a very good news. as the first volume was really excellent. By the way, has…"

John Evans replied Nov 23, 2018 to NEW BOOK ON THE SMJ - AVAILABLE SHORTLY

24 Dec 1, 2018
Reply by John Evans

"I just bought this book at the bookshop in Grosmont. Very interesting and I never kn…"

John Evans replied Nov 22, 2017 to NEW BOOK ON THE SMJ - AVAILABLE SHORTLY

24 Dec 1, 2018
Reply by John Evans

"Hi Tony Thanks you very much for the review. It is much appreciated. Best wishes…"

John Evans replied Apr 15, 2016 to LAST RITES - book from John Evans

2 Apr 15, 2016
Reply by John Evans

"I think I have all the books on the list and would definitely go for J M Dunn's hist…"

John Evans replied Sep 9, 2014 to Books

6 Sep 28, 2014
Reply by Dick Bodily

"Maybe a link to Helmdon station could be proposed. After all, the damsel only sleepe…"

John Evans replied Nov 20, 2013 to HS2 and the SMJ

9 Apr 10, 2014
Reply by John Cosford

"Check in the post from sunny California, Andy."

John Evans replied Jan 21, 2013 to Towcester Museum 100 Club

27 Jan 21, 2013
Reply by John Evans

"Thanks for the heads up Andy, I've got my daughter on the case. I'm sorry I missed t…"

John Evans replied Apr 4, 2012 to SMJR Revisited Part 2 now out

1 Apr 4, 2012
Reply by John Evans

"Hi Brian  Great to hear from you. Photos of the bridge are very rare and I stupidly…"

John Evans replied Jul 1, 2011 to Photo Library

8 Jul 4, 2011
Reply by Brian Elphick

RSS

© 2024   Created by Andy Thompson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service