The London and Birmingham Railway, under Robert Stephenson, bypassed Northamptonshire's capital town, Northampton due to the limitations of the technology of the day and the counties inclines. The company first opened a station at Blisworth in 1839. In 1842, a new "first class" station was planned. 'First Class' meant, 'all trains would stop there', Ford Lane, Blisworth became Station Road and the location of Blisworth station. Blisworth became a junction station when in 1845 a branch line on to Peterborough was completed via Northampton, and in 1866 a single-track, 4 mile branch line was built to Towcester with grand ideas to run onto South Wales. Starting as the Northampton and Banbury Junction Railway, this short branch was to become the SMJ.
Add a Comment