‘The Stratford Upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway’ (or S.M.J.) was a small independent railway company which ran a line across the empty, untouched centre of England. It visited the counties of Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire and a little of Buckinghamshire, only existing as the SMJ from 1909 to 1923. In 1923 the S.M.J.became a minor arm of the London Midland and Scottish (L.M.S.), then in 1948 'British Railways' 

Gone but not forgotten: "the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth"


.

SMJ Forum

magnet fishing

Hi everyone, yesterday I did some magnet fishing with the grandchildren from the SMJ bridge over the river Tove in Towester, to great excitement of the children (and myself) we pulled out three chair screws and a rivet which looked similar in style…Continue

Started by Steve Camm Sep 1.

One of the best preserved SMJ bridges? 1 Reply

I was at Ettington the other day and apart from the good shed, which has had a lot of money spent on it including full glazing, the station building is still there. But my attention went to the station bridge (No. 73?) which is in very good…Continue

Started by John Evans. Last reply by Andy Thompson Aug 30.

Passenger Trains connected to the SMJ

Following on from the previous discussion about WD passenger trains on the SMJ during the 1940s; it must be said that passenger trains ran on metals connected to the SMJ until the mid 1960s. There was a passenger service from the nearest point to…Continue

Started by Dave Hayward Jun 16.

Wartime passenger trains from Burton Dassett 3 Replies

Arthur Jordan in his book, The Stratford Upon Avon and Midland Junction Railway - The Shakespeare Route at pp 82 mentions a WW2 late night special from Stratford on Avon to Burton Dassett for soldiers at the CAD. I would envisage that this did not…Continue

Started by Dave Hayward. Last reply by Dave Hayward Jun 16.

SMJ photos

  • Add Photos
  • View All
I was interested to be reminded of Bridge 149 at Towcester.

One of the features of the SMJ was the big cast iron diamond shaped warning signs on the bridges. These warned against "Locomotives weighing more than x tons using the bridge.......etc."

As they were rusty, and basically obsolete, they were not really of any use.

I always meant to take a photo of one (after picking out the lettering with chalk say) but, in the usual way, they all suddenly disappeared. Presumably "liberated" either by "enthusiasts" or scrap merchants.

A bridge could have had 4 of these (each side of the road and each end) but most had fewer. At Blisworth I think it was 2.

Bridge 149 had the full complement of 4.

Peter

Views: 108

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They had similar ones on Grand Union Canal bridges around Northants as well. I think they were replaced when councils started putting up the modern standardised road signs including ones that were to do with weight and height restrictions over and under bridges.
Peter

Do you mean one of these?

Andy
Not sure.

It is of course about 40 years since I saw one, and they were always unpainted and rusty, so looked rather different.



Andy Thompson said:
Peter

Do you mean one of these?

Andy
I remember the canal ones.

On reconsideration I think that the ones I recall were different.

The reference to the SMJR was much more prominent, not tucked away at the bottom.

I also think it may have been dated and issued under the name of "company secretary" or such.

I wish I had taken a photo as intended.

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2026   Created by Andy Thompson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service