‘The Stratford Upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway’ (or S.M.J.) was a small independent railway company which ran a line across the empty, untouched centre of England. It visited the counties of Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire and a little of Buckinghamshire, only existing as the SMJ from 1909 to 1923. In 1923 the S.M.J.became a minor arm of the London Midland and Scottish (L.M.S.), then in 1948 'British Railways' 

Gone but not forgotten: "the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth"

SMJ Forum

Evesham Redditch & Stratford-upon-Avon Junction Railway 8 Replies

Did this railway (as opposed to the East & West Junction Railway) go into receivership - if so, when. And when did it come out of receivership?Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 11.

Bidford-on-Avon 5 Replies

Shall we bring this discussion under the proper heading!So far as the OS plan surveyed 1885, published 1886, is concerned: the OS liked - wherever they could  - to have text running parallel to the top and bottom borders. When they came to add the…Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 10.

North End and Warwick Road stations? 57 Replies

Some time ago we ahd an interesting and lively discussion on the mystery station at Tiffield, which added quite a lot to our collective knowledge.I've recently been looking closely at two of the other mystery stations- at North End (sometimes…Continue

Started by Barry Taylor. Last reply by Richard Maund Jan 27.

1873 timetable 4 Replies

Page 12 of Arthur Jordan's book features a full page reproduction of the E&WJ public timetable handbill for August 1873. Does anyone know where the original of that handbill is preserved?Incidentally, the timetable itself formed the basis of…Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Barry Taylor Jan 25.

SMJ photos

• Add Photos

Dear SMJ Society member

Below is a conversation I am currently having with Martin John, a contact via the museum in Towcester. Some of you may remember the stop-start-stop-start problems the museum has had and the attempts I have made to make contact with someone there to show our support.

The museum is offering membership to support the museum called the 100 Club. People pay £100 to join and subsequently get various benefits. If you want to know more, click here

I have suggested to Martin that the membership would give a pound each and as such, the society become a member. 

This is what Martin wrote:

"Thanks for your interest in Towcester's museum and Happy New Year.

Yes, it's been a long hard journey to get the museum open, I've been involved for about 16 years.  The upper floor of the museum is currently given to the period from the Iron Age through to the end of the Roman period. On the ground floor is a small gift shop and room that we will use for temporary exhibitions. 

There's a good deal of interest locally in Towcester's railway station.Although railways are not my particular interest I know there is considerable interest in railways in general and indeed in Towcester railway station and the Stratford Upon Avon & Midland line.

It would be great to put on an exhibition focusing on Towcester's railway history and any help would be welcome. The loan of memorabilia relating to the station would be fantastic. I know there is a model of the station stored in Coventry Museum, unfortunately it's somewhat too big for our museum to display. Your club is very welcome to have joint membership of the 100 Club, details are on our developing website. We still have copies of a book about Towcester station. If you wish I can send you a copy, although I suspect you will have one already.

"Towcester Memories of the"Slow, Miserable and Jolty" (Stratford & Midland Junction Railway)"
by Robert Stevens
A collection of childhood memories of Towcester Railway Station, covering its history from 1938 until the 1950s. With photographs, maps and line drawings.
36 pages; ISBN 0 9524619 0 0; £3.00 
Reprinted 1999

Best wishes

Matin"

Would you, the membership be willing to spend a pound to join? Count me in. It would be great for both of us to work together, I hope you agree

Andy

Views: 772

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like a great idea!

Yes you can count me in - Nigel.

Count me in - how do you want the money ?

Paul Atherton

Thanks for the positive start gents! I need to work on just how we get a hundred pounds together!!

Watch this space

Andy

Andy Thompson said:

Thanks for the positive start gents! I need to work on just how we get a hundred pounds together!!

Watch this space

Andy

Excellent idea, let me know how to donate.

Graham Campion

Count me in too.

As you say at the top of the page Andy: 'Gone but not forgotten: "the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth"'

Yes count me in

Yes please, would like to join. Please advise how to pay.

Regards,

Richard Gill.

Come on you lot! One hundred one pound coins, fifty two pound coins... two fifty pound notes! I think we should be seen to get involved.... do you?

Andy

One question Andy.....how are you going to prove membership of the SMJ Society ?

Maybe we could nominate one fine upstanding sole who lives very close to the museum to hold the membership details? Know of anyone?

Andy

NIGEL ALAN FURNISS said:

One question Andy.....how are you going to prove membership of the SMJ Society ?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Andy Thompson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service