‘The Stratford Upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway’ (or S.M.J.) was a small independent railway company which ran a line across the empty, untouched centre of England. It visited the counties of Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire and a little of Buckinghamshire, only existing as the SMJ from 1909 to 1923. In 1923 the S.M.J.became a minor arm of the London Midland and Scottish (L.M.S.), then in 1948 'British Railways' 

Gone but not forgotten: "the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth"

SMJ Forum

Evesham Redditch & Stratford-upon-Avon Junction Railway 8 Replies

Did this railway (as opposed to the East & West Junction Railway) go into receivership - if so, when. And when did it come out of receivership?Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 11.

Bidford-on-Avon 5 Replies

Shall we bring this discussion under the proper heading!So far as the OS plan surveyed 1885, published 1886, is concerned: the OS liked - wherever they could  - to have text running parallel to the top and bottom borders. When they came to add the…Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 10.

North End and Warwick Road stations? 57 Replies

Some time ago we ahd an interesting and lively discussion on the mystery station at Tiffield, which added quite a lot to our collective knowledge.I've recently been looking closely at two of the other mystery stations- at North End (sometimes…Continue

Started by Barry Taylor. Last reply by Richard Maund Jan 27.

1873 timetable 4 Replies

Page 12 of Arthur Jordan's book features a full page reproduction of the E&WJ public timetable handbill for August 1873. Does anyone know where the original of that handbill is preserved?Incidentally, the timetable itself formed the basis of…Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Barry Taylor Jan 25.

SMJ photos

• Add Photos

There have been a number of references to the Avon bridge in recent publications and unfortunatly some mis-information has surfaced. I have corrected this situation elsewhere on this site but would now like help on dating the first major strengthening of the bridge.

The E & W J R could have had little thought when they built the bridge as to what loads it would carry during its lifetime. In the event two major acts of strengthening were carried out post WW2 firstly by BR in the late 1950's as part of the upgrade to carry both steel billet traffic and iron ore from 1960 onwards. The bridge received further strengthening work by the highway authorities to produce the situation we see today in its continuing role as a road bridge.

Examination of photographs shows that much earlier works were carried out because the round cast steel plates that are still in place today and presumably are connected through the brickwork to "tie in" the walls do not feature in photos until the early 1930's. I have attached a 1910 photo showing the bridge in original form without the round plates. My guess is that such work (and cost) was almost certainly LMS not SMJ and possibly connected with the improvements to the line in the 1920's. Can anyone confirm this theory and are there any previously unseen photos of the bridge that are dated?

One thing is certain. The early promoters of the line and the original engineers could not have dreamt about the axle weights carried in its later days!!

John Jennings

Views: 148

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know too much about the Western end of the line, but certainly the LMS carried out considerable work on the Olney Branch during the late 1920/early 30s. Some twenty years ago, when I was running night classes in local history at Roade, one of my students was an elderly gent from Horton (more or less the next village to Ravenstone where the junction with the Midland was). He told us that he could recall the whole line being relaid when he was a boy between Ravenstone and Salcey Forest. The line through Stoke Bruerne was similarly relaid with ex-L&NWR material, because I recovered a chair from the section above Blisworth Canal Tunnel in 1966, soon after the track was finally taken up. The chair had the cast mark of Crewe, 1909 and I used it as a doorstop at work for many years until sombody pinched it!

On this basis I would think it most likely that the LMS relaid and rebuilt such vulnerable structures as the Avon bridge, especially since the Broom to Byfield section carried heavy freight locomotives after passenger services were withdrawn in 1952. Any evidence needs to be recorded, but I dare say there may be a reference somewhere among the LMS papers at Kew.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Andy Thompson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service