‘The Stratford Upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway’ (or S.M.J.) was a small independent railway company which ran a line across the empty, untouched centre of England. It visited the counties of Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire and a little of Buckinghamshire, only existing as the SMJ from 1909 to 1923. In 1923 the S.M.J.became a minor arm of the London Midland and Scottish (L.M.S.), then in 1948 'British Railways' 

Gone but not forgotten: "the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth"

SMJ Forum

Evesham Redditch & Stratford-upon-Avon Junction Railway 8 Replies

Did this railway (as opposed to the East & West Junction Railway) go into receivership - if so, when. And when did it come out of receivership?Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 11.

Bidford-on-Avon 5 Replies

Shall we bring this discussion under the proper heading!So far as the OS plan surveyed 1885, published 1886, is concerned: the OS liked - wherever they could  - to have text running parallel to the top and bottom borders. When they came to add the…Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 10.

North End and Warwick Road stations? 57 Replies

Some time ago we ahd an interesting and lively discussion on the mystery station at Tiffield, which added quite a lot to our collective knowledge.I've recently been looking closely at two of the other mystery stations- at North End (sometimes…Continue

Started by Barry Taylor. Last reply by Richard Maund Jan 27.

1873 timetable 4 Replies

Page 12 of Arthur Jordan's book features a full page reproduction of the E&WJ public timetable handbill for August 1873. Does anyone know where the original of that handbill is preserved?Incidentally, the timetable itself formed the basis of…Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Barry Taylor Jan 25.

SMJ photos

• Add Photos

Hello, I live in Southern Alberta, Canada and I'm nearer to 80 than 70. Methinks it is time to reduce my railwayana before it is consigned to the trash. Heaven forbid! My model railway is set in about 1953 and based on a ficticious branch running west from Broom Junction. Over the years I have gathered some material to help with my timetable etc. My layout is not based on anywhere specific, just on paper. Needless to say I use "modellers licence" to its fullest extent. I have some items that have to go, including what appears to be a professionally drawn map of Broom Junction, it measures 48" x 19½" .The there is that most informative booklet "An Account of the Signalling of the SMJ"  by M. Christensen, a member of the Signalling record Society. My interest in the SMJ started when I joined Saltley as a cleaner in 1962 where I became very quickly "Midlandized". I left 21A in 1972 and after a few years I became an hgv driver, driving all over the country. Always pleased when my journeys took me to Warwickshire. There is also a smaller schematic type map of Broom Junction. Please see pictures. If anyone is interested in these items I ask for nothing, just that the shipping is covered. I would like them to go to someone or somewhere where they would be appreciated. I cannot remember how or where I obtained them. Thank you. 

Views: 271

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Gordon,

I would be interested in the 48"x 191/2" map of Broom Junction if you still have it.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

yes I still have the map.

I'm assuming you live in the UK, if so then according to the Canada Post web site there are 3 options. The first is regular International Letter at $12 or, ( my preference, Registered), which bumps it up to $35. The third option which I guess would not be required is Priority Worldwide Pak at $86 (!!). I have a Paypal account, so if you do too, then I'm sure we can work it out. 

Thank you for your interest. 

Regards,

Gordon. 

Hi Gordon,

Yes I do live in the UK on the Warwickshire, Oxfordshire border near Banbury.

Yes I do have a Paypal account so could certainly do it that way. As you say, the registered would be my option too. It works out at about £20.

If you could accept the friend request we could message each other our details.

Regards

Steve

Gordon Hopkinson said:

Hi Steve,

yes I still have the map.

I'm assuming you live in the UK, if so then according to the Canada Post web site there are 3 options. The first is regular International Letter at $12 or, ( my preference, Registered), which bumps it up to $35. The third option which I guess would not be required is Priority Worldwide Pak at $86 (!!). I have a Paypal account, so if you do too, then I'm sure we can work it out. 

Thank you for your interest. 

Regards,

Gordon. 

Hi,

Interested in the signalling book if it hasn’t already gone.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thank you for your enquiry.

At the moment I am waiting for a reply from Mr. Ian Wannell of the Signalling Society. He wrote to me on November 27th with an interest in the booklet and asked if I would accept a cheque from an English bank, I responded the same day and as yet, I have not heard from him. Unfortunately I am not able to accept UK cheques as my bank here is unable to process them, so I suggested Paypal as the most convenient way to transfer money. The shipping for this booklet to the UK is :- either regular mail at $12 (about 7 GBP) or Registered Mail, which includes Advice of Receipt, at $35, (about 21 GBP). [I can't find the pound sign on this North American keyboard!]

If I do not hear from Mr. Wannell in the next couple of days, would you like me to contact you again?

Kind regards,

Gordon.  

Yes please.

I would also accept a PDF copy, and make a payment to the SRS equivalent to purchasing the book (for the copyright) if he does not respond. I am not so much looking for the book, as the information therein.

Simon

Gordon Hopkinson said:

Hi Simon,

Thank you for your enquiry.

At the moment I am waiting for a reply from Mr. Ian Wannell of the Signalling Society. He wrote to me on November 27th with an interest in the booklet and asked if I would accept a cheque from an English bank, I responded the same day and as yet, I have not heard from him. Unfortunately I am not able to accept UK cheques as my bank here is unable to process them, so I suggested Paypal as the most convenient way to transfer money. The shipping for this booklet to the UK is :- either regular mail at $12 (about 7 GBP) or Registered Mail, which includes Advice of Receipt, at $35, (about 21 GBP). [I can't find the pound sign on this North American keyboard!]

If I do not hear from Mr. Wannell in the next couple of days, would you like me to contact you again?

Kind regards,

Gordon.  

It’s been a couple of days, in fact 3, Gordon.

I have PayPal: you can message me directly.

(I live a country mile from the easternmost end of the SMJR.)

Hello Simon, apparently we have to be friends before we can exchange messages. Yes, I appreciate it has been 3 days now since our last communication, unfortunately I have spent a little of that time in hospital, no, not covid, tho' we do have some around here. Amongst my emails today is one from your good self and one from the other interested party, who is now in the process of sending me the shipping money for this booklet. Tho' there is another way I can send you the info contained within the booklet. Nowhere in the booklet is there anything that refers to no copying or copyright. Also I am not that tech savvy to create pdf files. Maybe I should learn?

Can you please get back to me when you can. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Gordon. 

Simon Dunkley said:

It’s been a couple of days, in fact 3, Gordon.

I have PayPal: you can message me directly.

(I live a country mile from the easternmost end of the SMJR.)

Ah. I think we can simply make a friendship request.

Most printers nowadays can scan to PDF, so you can do it that way: each page as a separate file is fine by me. As long as they are numbered, I can sort out order and orientation.

Hope you are well/getting better.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Andy Thompson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service