‘The Stratford Upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway’ (or S.M.J.) was a small independent railway company which ran a line across the empty, untouched centre of England. It visited the counties of Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire and a little of Buckinghamshire, only existing as the SMJ from 1909 to 1923. In 1923 the S.M.J.became a minor arm of the London Midland and Scottish (L.M.S.), then in 1948 'British Railways' 

Gone but not forgotten: "the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth"

SMJ Forum

Evesham Redditch & Stratford-upon-Avon Junction Railway 8 Replies

Did this railway (as opposed to the East & West Junction Railway) go into receivership - if so, when. And when did it come out of receivership?Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 11.

Bidford-on-Avon 5 Replies

Shall we bring this discussion under the proper heading!So far as the OS plan surveyed 1885, published 1886, is concerned: the OS liked - wherever they could  - to have text running parallel to the top and bottom borders. When they came to add the…Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 10.

North End and Warwick Road stations? 57 Replies

Some time ago we ahd an interesting and lively discussion on the mystery station at Tiffield, which added quite a lot to our collective knowledge.I've recently been looking closely at two of the other mystery stations- at North End (sometimes…Continue

Started by Barry Taylor. Last reply by Richard Maund Jan 27.

1873 timetable 4 Replies

Page 12 of Arthur Jordan's book features a full page reproduction of the E&WJ public timetable handbill for August 1873. Does anyone know where the original of that handbill is preserved?Incidentally, the timetable itself formed the basis of…Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Barry Taylor Jan 25.

SMJ photos

• Add Photos

Hi All

Following previous notes on our research on Old Town Stratford upon Avon and in particular links into the SMJ, we now have some old pictures and maps of the area on the walls of The West End Pub in Old Town.  These pictures include two black and white photos that may not have been seen by members of the SMJ Society.  They show the bridge that carried the SMJ over the GWR adjacent to the racecourse from both directions, with an SMJ loco on the bridge in both photos.

Copies of these pictures were given to me by one of my regulars to use in our Old Town display, and his father took the pictures in the 50's.  The pictures also show the Halt that was present on the GWR for a few years to allow people to alight for the racecourse. 

Can I also ask the member who talked to me about an old SMJ "no trespassing" sign to get in touch again as I don't have any contact details for him.

Roger

Views: 189

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Stratford upon Avon Racecourse Platform was opened by the GWR on 6th May 1933 and closed by BR on 21st March 1968. The difference between "Halts" and "Platforms" on the GWR was their length. Halts (like the one at Pebworth) were short and intended for use by railmotors or short trains. Platforms were long to accomodate infrequent but potentially substantial traffic. The Racecourse Platform could accomodate 6 coach trains easily. Both Halts and Platforms had only basic facilities usually a shelter but even that was not provided at Stratford! However it was possible to buy a ticket there on race days. A small wooden box of tickets which were printed with the title "Stratford upon Avon Racecourse Platform" were kept in the booking office at the main Stratford GW station. On racedays a junior clerk drew the short straw and was sent with the ticket box, some petty cash, a stool and umbrella to sit on the platform for the duration that trains were booked to stop on race days. In the early sixties I spent many hours talking to this bored individual who sold very few tickets except as souveniers to enthusiasts. 

Hi John

Thanks for the information.  It is all helping to build a picture of Old Town Stratford within which our pub The West End is situated.  I am trying to add some old pictures of Old Town to my collection on the pub walls, including some of the SMJ Stratford line/station.  I am hoping that the "SMJers" will allow me to use a few of the images that are on the website.

Regards

Roger

John Jennings said:

Stratford upon Avon Racecourse Platform was opened by the GWR on 6th May 1933 and closed by BR on 21st March 1968. The difference between "Halts" and "Platforms" on the GWR was their length. Halts (like the one at Pebworth) were short and intended for use by railmotors or short trains. Platforms were long to accomodate infrequent but potentially substantial traffic. The Racecourse Platform could accomodate 6 coach trains easily. Both Halts and Platforms had only basic facilities usually a shelter but even that was not provided at Stratford! However it was possible to buy a ticket there on race days. A small wooden box of tickets which were printed with the title "Stratford upon Avon Racecourse Platform" were kept in the booking office at the main Stratford GW station. On racedays a junior clerk drew the short straw and was sent with the ticket box, some petty cash, a stool and umbrella to sit on the platform for the duration that trains were booked to stop on race days. In the early sixties I spent many hours talking to this bored individual who sold very few tickets except as souveniers to enthusiasts. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Andy Thompson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service