‘The Stratford Upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway’ (or S.M.J.) was a small independent railway company which ran a line across the empty, untouched centre of England. It visited the counties of Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire and a little of Buckinghamshire, only existing as the SMJ from 1909 to 1923. In 1923 the S.M.J.became a minor arm of the London Midland and Scottish (L.M.S.), then in 1948 'British Railways' 

Gone but not forgotten: "the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth"

SMJ Forum

Evesham Redditch & Stratford-upon-Avon Junction Railway 8 Replies

Did this railway (as opposed to the East & West Junction Railway) go into receivership - if so, when. And when did it come out of receivership?Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 11.

Bidford-on-Avon 5 Replies

Shall we bring this discussion under the proper heading!So far as the OS plan surveyed 1885, published 1886, is concerned: the OS liked - wherever they could  - to have text running parallel to the top and bottom borders. When they came to add the…Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 10.

North End and Warwick Road stations? 57 Replies

Some time ago we ahd an interesting and lively discussion on the mystery station at Tiffield, which added quite a lot to our collective knowledge.I've recently been looking closely at two of the other mystery stations- at North End (sometimes…Continue

Started by Barry Taylor. Last reply by Richard Maund Jan 27.

1873 timetable 4 Replies

Page 12 of Arthur Jordan's book features a full page reproduction of the E&WJ public timetable handbill for August 1873. Does anyone know where the original of that handbill is preserved?Incidentally, the timetable itself formed the basis of…Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Barry Taylor Jan 25.

SMJ photos

• Add Photos

I recently acquired an old cine film of the SMJ with footage from 1928 to 1955. The film covers the line from Fenny Compton to Broom Junction.

It starts with footage of the 1955 "The South Midlander" railtour reversing into the exchange siding at Fenny Compton and 4F 44186 sitting in the SMJ platform. Sadly it does not show the entire shunting operation, so we're still none the wiser on how the 4F was employed on that day.

It goes on past the MOD exchange sidings in 1951, then a passenger and a goods train trundling through Kineton Station in 1949, some superb 1928 footage shot at Ettington - including an LNWR Cauliflower! Then on to Stratford where several train movements are shown plus a view of the engine shed.

Finally the film closes with a passing view of Binton Station, the 3 span bridge crossing over the River Arrow and ending at Broom Junction.

In all, about 6 1/2 minutes of archive film. I've transferred it to DVD and will bring it to the get-together in Stratford next month, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Jim.

Views: 718

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like a must see!!

Agreed sounds very interesting.
Just wish I could be there on the 11th to see it.

Jim,

Would it be possible to get hold of a copy of this DVD to help with our modelling research?

Nick Meredith

Leamington & Warwick MRS

Isn't this on the DVD "The Shakespeare Route - The SMJ" issued by Hillside Publishing in 2006?

There's 60 minutes of SMJ footage over the years "with over 20 different classes of engine in action".

Well worth acquiring if you are interested in the SMJ.

Robin

Oddly, I have a copy of the Hillside film in my DVD drive at the moment and had earlier been noting down the credits

"Filmed by Elena Hendry, Robert Hendry, R Preston Hendry, H J Stretton Ward, Roger Crombleholme"

"Archive Material The Late J M Dunn, The Late R E Tustin, Mike Christensen, Hillside Films Archive"

"Produced by Elena A Hendry"

"Directed by Robert P Hendry"#

Definitely worthwhile viewing, even if a little disjointed inthe sequence it presents the material covered. 

Hi Nick/ Robin,

It's not the DVD issued in 2006 but it is by Hillside Publishing. This is an old cine film produced in 1982 and is only 7 minute long - I got someone to copy it on to a DVD.

I've not seen the 2006 version so what I have may be on that. Most of the film is early BR but there is a bit from 1928 filmed at Ettington. I don't have facilities for making copies but you are very welcome to borrow it to make a copy yourself.

Regards,

Jim.

Thanks, Jim.

This all sounds familiar and I think that the early material (1928) was filmed by Mr Stretton-Ward who lived at Leamington. I do have a video tape from quite a few years ago which has much of the same material on it, but still purchased the DVD as it was in a more modern format.

Regards,

Robin

Hi Jim

I've recently viewed the Hillside 'Shakespeare Route', and agree with Nick that its disjointed but contains lots of interesting material. As Nick and I are part of the LWMRS group planning to construct a model of Kineton Station (and I'm also planning a model of Burton Dassett Junction), it would be really interesting to see this particular footage. Can I pick up on your offer to Nick & Robin, and borrow it in order to make a copy. I'm located in South Warwickshire and would be happy to travel in order to pick it up.

Hi Mark,

I live near Kettering, it's a bit of a trek for you. I'm quite happy to post it to you, I've sent a friendship message - once you accept you can pm your address without publishing it for everyone to read. Incidentally, I was brought up in Leamington and have been to your club's show at Stoneleigh a few times.

Best regards,

Jim. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Andy Thompson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service