‘The Stratford Upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway’ (or S.M.J.) was a small independent railway company which ran a line across the empty, untouched centre of England. It visited the counties of Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire and a little of Buckinghamshire, only existing as the SMJ from 1909 to 1923. In 1923 the S.M.J.became a minor arm of the London Midland and Scottish (L.M.S.), then in 1948 'British Railways' 

Gone but not forgotten: "the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth"


.

SMJ Forum

NEW BOOK ON THE SMJ - AVAILABLE SHORTLY 24 Replies

Hi allI'm pleased to announce that the first volume of my history of…Continue

Started by Barry Taylor. Last reply by John Evans Dec 1.

John Jennings

Following the sad loss of John Jennings, a stalwart of the SMJ and our society, Mike Musson set up a page on his site. The whole sit is well worth a visit as it overlaps with us here at the SMJ society     Go take a look…Continue

Started by Andy Thompson Nov 28.

The SMJR Great War Roll of Honour 12 Replies

Many of you will be aware that in common with all other railway companies the SMJR lost many of its employees for all or part of the Great War as the patriotic duty to volunteer was overwhelming.  Railwaymen were technically exempt but many chose to…Continue

Tags: of, Honour, Roll, War, SMJR

Started by John Jennings. Last reply by Jim Brown Nov 23.

Warley Poster

Interesting to see Broom Junction layout photo on posters and adverts for the Warley Model Railway Show this weekend.Continue

Started by Dick Bodily Nov 21.

SMJ photos

  • Add Photos
  • View All

is this of interest? - taken on 12.6.1934 it's from the Mowat Collection. this is the GW/SMJ connection.
Regards,
Robin

Views: 127

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of The SMJ Society to add comments!

Join The SMJ Society

Comment by Robin Cullup on October 20, 2016 at 16:39

Dear Andy,

The left hand line through the junction is the connection through the goods yard at S-upon-A from the GW to the SMJ. The right hand (main line) is to Honeybourne etc. The view is in a southerly direction.  The photograph is marked "S & M box". The box had several names over the years:

East & West Jcn

S & M Jcn

LMS Jcn

The box closed on 12.6.1960.

This image was added to complement the view posted by John Evans.

Regards,

Robin

Comment by Andy Thompson on October 20, 2016 at 15:03
Is this at Stratford Robin? Andy

© 2018   Created by Andy Thompson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service