‘The Stratford Upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway’ (or S.M.J.) was a small independent railway company which ran a line across the empty, untouched centre of England. It visited the counties of Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire and a little of Buckinghamshire, only existing as the SMJ from 1909 to 1923. In 1923 the S.M.J.became a minor arm of the London Midland and Scottish (L.M.S.), then in 1948 'British Railways' 

Gone but not forgotten: "the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth"

SMJ Forum

Evesham Redditch & Stratford-upon-Avon Junction Railway 8 Replies

Did this railway (as opposed to the East & West Junction Railway) go into receivership - if so, when. And when did it come out of receivership?Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 11.

Bidford-on-Avon 5 Replies

Shall we bring this discussion under the proper heading!So far as the OS plan surveyed 1885, published 1886, is concerned: the OS liked - wherever they could  - to have text running parallel to the top and bottom borders. When they came to add the…Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 10.

North End and Warwick Road stations? 57 Replies

Some time ago we ahd an interesting and lively discussion on the mystery station at Tiffield, which added quite a lot to our collective knowledge.I've recently been looking closely at two of the other mystery stations- at North End (sometimes…Continue

Started by Barry Taylor. Last reply by Richard Maund Jan 27.

1873 timetable 4 Replies

Page 12 of Arthur Jordan's book features a full page reproduction of the E&WJ public timetable handbill for August 1873. Does anyone know where the original of that handbill is preserved?Incidentally, the timetable itself formed the basis of…Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Barry Taylor Jan 25.

SMJ photos

• Add Photos
Gentlemen
I have started this discussion as a way of (hopefully) bringing together those who are coming to our get-together on the 12th of June 2010 - those who can bring items to display, those who have hardware that might be of use for the day and as a general focus for the days events. A summary of how it could be used is like:

Andy: will be there all day Saturday (would like to pop over Friday evening too). I can bring things to display and I would love to go on a trip to Stoke Bruerne station if it can be arranged

Views: 232

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Andy.

I will go over on the Friday about 4-30pm to see what i can do to help out.

Ray Wake
I shall be around on the main site (which lies between the Canal Museum and its car park) most of the day on Friday. I shall probably be identifieable by wearing a yellow "jobsworth's" jacket with "Event Organiser" on it, so if anyone wishes to make themselves known, that will be the simplest way. Otherwise, if I am not around for some reason, just ask at the Museum. I propose making the Conference Room available, which has tables and chairs that can be arranged to suit, or else the Schoolroom can be used, which will be shared with a full-sized boat cabin mock-up and a large dummy boat horse. The horse is very well-behaved and does not kick.
I shall be able to get over there Friday, if I'm not working that day.
Dick
I will be there on Saturday. Will have display stand and memorabillia.
Shall we have a marquee or will we be indoors?
As I am with the Rushden Historical Transport Society and it is a running steam weekend I shall need to be organised, the visit to Stoke would be great but maybe also a visit to Rushden? One of our members lived for many years at Stoke station.
Would appreciate a call from any one in the know 07985 478469 or 01604 890218.,
Cheers Chab.
What would be a real coup would be to get the Warley Model Railway Club to bring their 60-foot (!) model of Broom Junction and get it working.
David.
I am coming up on the Friday so will pop over as soon as I can on Friday. I hope to be with you all day Saturday.
I'll look out for the 'jobs-worth' geezer as stated. Form in post.
Andy

David Blagrove said:
I shall be around on the main site (which lies between the Canal Museum and its car park) most of the day on Friday. I shall probably be identifieable by wearing a yellow "jobsworth's" jacket with "Event Organiser" on it, so if anyone wishes to make themselves known, that will be the simplest way. Otherwise, if I am not around for some reason, just ask at the Museum. I propose making the Conference Room available, which has tables and chairs that can be arranged to suit, or else the Schoolroom can be used, which will be shared with a full-sized boat cabin mock-up and a large dummy boat horse. The horse is very well-behaved and does not kick.
Ray
Will look out for you on the Friday

Andy

ray wake said:
Andy.

I will go over on the Friday about 4-30pm to see what i can do to help out.

Ray Wake
Dick
No-go for the Saturday then?
Andy

Dick said:
Dick
Got any contacts Geoffrey?

Andy

Geoffrey Kingscott said:
What would be a real coup would be to get the Warley Model Railway Club to bring their 60-foot (!) model of Broom Junction and get it working.
A copied note from David Blagrove:
Sorry not to have been back beforehand, but I had a bad fall at the end of January and ended up with a broken writing arm, which has since had to be fixed in Northampton Genral Hospital by an operation. I am now slowly regaining the use of both arms, so can report on current progress.

I have spoken to the manager of the Canal Museum and he is prepared to let the embryonic Society have the use of a room at the back of the Museum over the weekend 12th/13th June next for some sort of display. I am also hoping to have a steam-operated ride-on miniature railway on site which can be associated with an SMJ display. Even if the railway does not materialise, we should have some ride-on miniature traction engines on the towpath and maybe a steamboat on the canal, so there will be something for steam buffs.

It might be possible to arrange a meeting in either one of the Museum school rooms or a small tent, or alternatively one of the two pubs. The "Boat Inn" does not have a function room as such, but it mgiht be possible to use one of the spare licensed rooms at a slack time, similarly "the Navigation" has a room capable of holding about 20 persons at a place apart from the rest of the pub.

I would suggest that someone takes over co-ordinating such a meeting and then lets me know exactly what will be required, and we'll take it forward from there. I shall be rather busy myself since I am in overall charge of entertainments and trade exhibits for the weekend, but will be only too pleased to act as a gereal facilitator.

Andy
I hope to attend function on June 12th.

Stories to share of grandfather on SMJ, signalman and shunter - loss of foot. Father born Fenney Compton station house. Family lived in Stoke Bruerne station house. Father's youngest siblings born there. etc... etc...

mispelling of Charles
Rev Dr John C. Neal
Andy

i shall be there on Saturday for at least part of the day as well.

Dick

Andy Thompson said:
Dick
No-go for the Saturday then?
Andy

Dick said:
Dick

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Andy Thompson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service