‘The Stratford Upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway’ (or S.M.J.) was a small independent railway company which ran a line across the empty, untouched centre of England. It visited the counties of Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire and a little of Buckinghamshire, only existing as the SMJ from 1909 to 1923. In 1923 the S.M.J.became a minor arm of the London Midland and Scottish (L.M.S.), then in 1948 'British Railways' 

Gone but not forgotten: "the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth"

SMJ Forum

Evesham Redditch & Stratford-upon-Avon Junction Railway 8 Replies

Did this railway (as opposed to the East & West Junction Railway) go into receivership - if so, when. And when did it come out of receivership?Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 11.

Bidford-on-Avon 5 Replies

Shall we bring this discussion under the proper heading!So far as the OS plan surveyed 1885, published 1886, is concerned: the OS liked - wherever they could  - to have text running parallel to the top and bottom borders. When they came to add the…Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Richard Maund Feb 10.

North End and Warwick Road stations? 57 Replies

Some time ago we ahd an interesting and lively discussion on the mystery station at Tiffield, which added quite a lot to our collective knowledge.I've recently been looking closely at two of the other mystery stations- at North End (sometimes…Continue

Started by Barry Taylor. Last reply by Richard Maund Jan 27.

1873 timetable 4 Replies

Page 12 of Arthur Jordan's book features a full page reproduction of the E&WJ public timetable handbill for August 1873. Does anyone know where the original of that handbill is preserved?Incidentally, the timetable itself formed the basis of…Continue

Started by Richard Maund. Last reply by Barry Taylor Jan 25.

SMJ photos

• Add Photos

Just seen this photo on ebay:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332048157752?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649...

Not a location, or vehicle, I recognise. I can see a diamond shape cast iron sign on the bridge that looks familiar. Any thoughts?

Jim.

Views: 249

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you look at the back of the postcard it states ' Kinnerley Junction  S & M Jn Rly.'

This is on the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Light Railway.........sorry to disappoint, but it does have a connection with the SMJR......Colonel Stephens !!!

Thanks Nigel, I didn't see the reverse photo. I knew it wasn't our railway though, I'll let them know.

Jim.

The group photo at Burton Dassett, with Bridge 66 over the single line track and siding, is interesting.

Although not dated the bridge looks to have been rebuilt as the brickwork seems new.

Note the weeds in the siding area, and the old diamond sign near the bridge.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/262521214732-0-1/s-l1000.jpg" />&a...

Bridge 66 group photo at Burton Dassett on ebay

NIGEL said:

The group photo at Burton Dassett, with Bridge 66 over the single line track and siding, is interesting.

Although not dated the bridge looks to have been rebuilt as the brickwork seems new.

Note the weeds in the siding area, and the old diamond sign near the bridge.

This train with reporting number W710 was a special run by the Birmingham Locomotive Club on 14.7.1951 and the loco was "4F" 44057. The route was B'ham New St - Northampton - Olney (reverse) - SMJ to Towcester - Woodford Halse (two reversals), then Stratford, Broom Jcn and New St.  

There were photo-stops at various locations as well as a visit to Woodford Halse shed. Quite a trip.

Robin Cullup

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Andy Thompson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service