‘The Stratford Upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway’ (or S.M.J.) was a small independent railway company which ran a line across the empty, untouched centre of England. It visited the counties of Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire and a little of Buckinghamshire, only existing as the SMJ from 1909 to 1923. In 1923 the S.M.J.became a minor arm of the London Midland and Scottish (L.M.S.), then in 1948 'British Railways' 

Gone but not forgotten: "the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth"

SMJ Forum

NEW BOOK ON THE SMJ - AVAILABLE SHORTLY 18 Replies

Hi allI'm pleased to announce that the first volume of my history of…Continue

Started by Barry Taylor. Last reply by Barry Taylor Nov 7.

Malcolm Ranieri

Sad to report the untimely death last week of SMJ Society member Malcolm Ranieri. Malcolm was well known for his excellent steam train photographs that have appeared for many years in the rail preservation press.  He was also one of the main…Continue

Started by Dick Bodily Oct 19.

Salvaged track bolts 1 Reply

Does any know if the bridges were numbered? Similar to how the canals number thier's. Because a few weeks ago I was magnet fishing under the if I bridge behind the bellebaulk housing estate in Towcester and pulled out a number of chair bolts and I…Continue

Started by John Godwin. Last reply by Dick Bodily Sep 28.

Planning Application for Binton Station Site 8 Replies

I've just been told by friends from Welford that there's a planning application to redevelop the Binton Station site:Binton Station Planning…Continue

Started by Simon Stevens. Last reply by Simon Stevens Sep 20.

Proposed conversion of numbers 5 and 6.

According to Dunn, the problems with the two BP tanks ns 5 and 6 running backwards were twice addressed with the idea of converting them to 2-4-2Ts, and that drawings were prepared on at least one occasion.Has anyone ever seen anything of these…Continue

Started by Simon Dunkley Jun 27.

Broom Junction station site for sale 1 Reply

Great opportunity for an SMJ enthusiast perhaps.  I'm not sure what you could actually do with this site though!…Continue

Started by Simon Stevens. Last reply by Simon Stevens May 17.

Need Site Help?

Hi all

I'm pleased to announce that the first volume of my history of the SMJ should be available in the near future - details are as follows:

The Stratford-upon-Avon & Midland Junction Railway Volume One: The years before the S&MJR 1866-1909: The Constituent Companies
Barry Taylor
208 pages. 275x215mm. Printed on gloss art paper with colour laminated board covers

A comprehensive history of the Northampton & Banbury Junction Railway, The East & West Junction Railway, The Evesham Redditch & Stratford Junction Railway, and the Stratford upon Avon Towcester & Midland Junction Railway – up to the formation of the Stratford upon Avon & Midland Junction railway in 1909.

Volume 2 will continue the story through the S&MJR, LMSR, and BR periods through to closure and to the present day.

Black Dwarf Lightmoor Publications - ISBN13 9781911038252 – Price £25.00 + p&p

For more details see the new publications page at: lightmoor.co.uk

The book should be available from Lightmoor as from 14th August, and will be on sale at the O Gauge Guild show at Telford on 1st/2nd September if anyone is going up there.

No date yet for Volume 2 but should be during 2018.

Views: 872

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Dick - that's a great review!

It will be interesting to see what the various magazine reviews are like, but for me the most important are the ones from those that "know" the SMJ like yourself and others on this website

Thanks again - on to Vol 2!

I just bought this book at the bookshop in Grosmont. Very interesting and I never knew of the triangle station plan at Ravenstone Wood, or some of the other proposals. A great addition to SMJ literature, nicely produced and not unreasonably priced.

Volume 2 is out now!

Not quite folks! The book was finalised in mid-October and my latest information from the publisher is that Vol 2 is due into their warehouse at Lydney by 22nd November. This will hopefully be just in time to ensure that it is available for sale at the NEC Warley model railway show that weekend. I will post a cover illustration and full details up in the near future.

Ah.

Well, it is available to order.

Yep - noticed that Lightmoor now have it on their website, so they seem confident about the arrival date!

This time it is a much bigger book - 328 pages, with a 56 page colour section. Covers everything from the start of the SMJR in 1909 through to the present day, plus a trip down the line station by station and a section on tickets.

Plenty of black and white images too - and hopefully many not seen before

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Andy Thompson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service